Day 7 at Saints camp was largely focused on special teams, redzone, and goal line drills. That might mean no 40 yard bombs to Cyril Grayson on Friday, but there was still plenty to take away from the day’s work.
- Still no Emmanuel Butler. Next week will be a series of game-prep practices since the first preseason matchup is Friday, August 9th. That would be the time to worry about not seeing Butler in preseason action if not seen after the day off on Tuesday.
- Rob Kelley, the newly signed RB, left practice today with the Head Athletic Trainer.
- Marcus Williams and Latavius Murray suited up but did not participate in team drills. They worked off tot he side with training staff. Williams was a constant observer and supporter during the team’s red zone drills standing at the back of the endzone reading the offense and cheering on his team. I can confirm that he did not shout out signals to help.
- Others missing from the field today were: Alize Mack who suffered an injury the same day as Butler. Deonte Harris who is starting to see some distance between himself and Marcus Sherels continue to form at punt returner. Kieth Kirkwood who was hurt on Thursday’s practice, David Onyemata, Michael Burton, and UDFAs Ethan Greenidge and Derrick Kelly III.
Standouts of the Day
- Tre’Quan Smith hit a big time move on Patrick Robinson in one-on-ones to get open on a hitch. Robinson answered back with an INT in their next rep. Smith’s route-running has definitely gotten better this offseason and Robinson is looking back to where he started in his return to the Saints in 2018.
- Jared Cook scored a touchdown early in Red Zone drills on a pass from Brees.
- Eli Apple had a great pass break up along the sideline near the goal line. Left his feet to knock it away from Thomas.
- Kamara had a big run up the right side. Brees was lined up out wide which drew a lot of attention from the crowd.
- Brees and Thomas connected on a pretty play for a touchdown on the opposite side of the field. Thomas ran a hitch route that Klein committed to. At the Same time, Brees looked Anzalone out of his zone in the middle . When Anzalone bit to cover Ginn, Thomas hit the vacated portion of the field to reel in a bullet from Brees for the TD.
- Defense came up big in the clutch of the redzone drills, winning on the final snap. Justin Hardee broke up a pass intended for Austin Carr in the endzone. Forcing the offense to run extra wind sprints at the end of practice.
Movers and Shakers
- With Armstead back but getting light work, Marshall Newhouse saw more snaps with the first team at LT. Michael Ola, who usually joins in on the LT snaps, took on some LG time with the ones as well.
- With Marcus Williams working on the sideline, Chris Banjo took the majority of FS snaps with the first team. Rookie Saquan Hampton worked with the twos.
- Saw both Travin Dural and Lil’Jordan Humphrey working out in punt block drills.
- Matt Dayes found his way into the returner rotation joining Marcus Sherels, Cyril Grayson, and Austin Carr.
- Erik McCoy had a stranglehold on the first team Center position Friday.