Taking a look at some of the standout UDFAs the Saints have signed so far since the draft. The Saints tend to keep a couple of these guys around, so let’s talk about some we think have a good chance to stick around with one highlight play for each player.
Chase Hansen, LB, Utah
- 25 year old Chase Hansen was teammates with Marcus Williams at Utah. Fun Fact, he was Utah’s Mr. Football and Gatorade High School Player of the Year as a Quarterback in his senior year. He will be best utilized as a Dime LB/Zone Coverage player in the NFL. He has some really good range but lacks in size. He will be a fun prospect, despite his age.
Deonte Harris, WR/KR, Assumption
- Bring on the competition for kick-returner. With Tommylee Lewis gone, we need a small and fast guy on the roster. Harris owns the NCAA all-division record for return touchdowns with 14. Coaches rave about his skills and work ethic which is always a good thing to hear.
Devine Ozigbo, RB, Nebraska
- This one really excites me. The senior had a career year at Nebraska. He totaled 155 carries for 1,082 yards (7 ypc) and 12 TDs. His game really reminds me of Mark Ingram (He even rocks a nice #22). He has excellent feet with his only downside being downfield speed, but even then it’s not too bad. Everything about this man excites me.
Lil’Jordan Humphrey, WR, Texas
- If his name doesn’t excite you enough, maybe his 86 catches for 1,176 yards and nine touchdowns in the Texas offense will be enough. He even rocked a rushing touchdown. Most people thought he could use another year in college, and his combine results didn’t impress to say the least. However, I’m still excited for him to join the WR competition. During the pro days, his 40 time improved from a 4.75 to a 4.55. He has NFL size at 6’4 210 pounds. He has shown he can compete against top notch secondary talent and even run some solid routes.
Corbin Kaufusi, DE, BYU
- Hey guys, did you know he played basketball. The man stands at a monstrous 6’10. His athleticism at that size has me excited. Over three seasons on the BYU D-Line he racked up 153 tackles, 18.5 tackles for a loss, and 16 sacks. So the talent is definitely there. He was supposed to be a lock to be drafted, but some injuries saw his stock get dropped.
A.J. Ouellette, RB, Ohio
- I remember watching him vs Buffalo and hoping that the Saints would nab him. He was outstanding. Super fun to watch. His stats will back that up as during his senior season he accrued 213 carries for 1,306 yards and 12 TDs, his 2nd straight 1000+ yard season. It’ll be interesting to see if he can work his way into the RB room that’s starting to get a little crowded.
Follow Dylan on Twitter @DillySanders